Ramesh Chandra Nath was born and brought up in Mayurbhanj, Orissa. After finishing B.Sc. (Physics) from MPC College, Baripada, Orissa, he obtained his M.Sc. in Physics from Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. He did his PhD in experimental condensed matter physics, from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay with Prof. Avinash V. Mahajan on "low-dimensional spin systems". Subsequently, he moved to University of Dortmund as a postdoc and worked on experimental soft condensed matter physics in the group of Prof. Roland Bohmer. He then spent two years at the Max-Planck Institute of Chemical Physics of Solids (MPI - CPfS), Dresden, Germany in the group of Prof. Christoph Geibel and one and half years at the Ames Laboratory, Iowa, USA in the group of Prof. David Johnston as a postdoc and worked on strongly correlated systems. In October 2009 he joined as an assistant professor in the school of physics, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
His research interests ranges from soft condensed matter to hard condensed matter physics. His areas of expertize are synthesis, crystal growth, structural properties, thermodynamic properties, and low temperature solid state NMR.
Spouse: Dr. Mamata Sahoo (PhD, Theoretical Physics)
Daughter: Rayanshi M Nath (born on 14th August 2013)
- Ph.D (Physics), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
- MSc (Physics), Utkal University, Orissa, India
- BSc (Physics), MPC College, Baripada, Orissa
- Associate Professor at School of Physics, IISER-TVM since March-2015
- Assistant Professor at School of Physics, IISER-TVM (October-2009 to March 2015)
- Postdoctoral fellow at Ames Laboratory, Ames, Iowa USA (May 2008 to Sept. 2009)
- Postdoctoral fellow at Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids (MPI-CPfS) Dresden, Germany (2006 to 2008)
- Visiting scientist at Experimental Physics V, University of Augsburg, Germany (March-2006 to June-2006)
- Postdoctoral fellow at Experimental Physics III, University of Dortmund, Germany (May 2005 to Feb. 2006)
- Visiting research scholar during PhD to Experimental Physics V, University of Augsburg, Germany (Nov-2003 to Apr-2004)
- Max-Planck Fellow
- DST-MPG Fellow (2011-2014)
- Reviewer of various international and national journals e. g. American Physical Society, Elsevier etc.